Budget 2014: Call for beer duty freeze
- Credit: PA
Waveney MP Peter Aldous has written to the Treasury to call for a freeze or further reduction in beer duty on the brewing and pub sector, which he said would help retain more than 900,000 jobs.
In his letter to Sajid Javid, financial secretary to the Treasury, Mr Aldous said the need for further action was made important by the fact that there has been a decrease in investment in the beer industry, a poor harvest, a rise in energy costs and a fall in household incomes, which have led a third of pubs to close in the last four years.
He said: “Pubs make an important contribution to local communities and the wider economy - they provide both local employment and promote responsible drinking. They are part of the fabric of local life and an important source of enterprise, business and community action. I have witnessed first-hand the consequences of this alleviated tax in the Waveney area and believe that this is an opportunity to bring fairness into the pub industry and support breweries.”
Owner of the Rose Inn on Queens Road, Dawn Hopkins, said: “In the past three years our city’s pub scene has suffered irreparably because gone of the tough economic conditions. That means we need help and we need it now.
“That’s why publican and punter alike want to see the alcohol duty escalator scrapped.
You may also want to watch:
“But even that might not be enough. That’s why I think the Chancellor needs to cut VAT on pub purchased drinks. Then we’d have fighting chance against supermarkets and a real chance of survival.”
Labour’s Norwich South Parliamentary Candidate, Clive Lewis said: “Whether in the pub or campaigning on the doorstep, the price of a drink in your local is a real issue for many. But this isn’t just about calling for what’s popular. Giving our local drinks industry the help it needs will also act as an economic boost for our local economy.”
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Woman's body found in village home
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 5 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 6 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 7 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 8 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 9 Rapist subjected two children to 'unimaginable ordeal' over five years
- 10 'It's been a strange few days' - Skuse gives emotional exit interview