Bury St Edmunds: Aldi to open its 500th store today
Budget grocer Aldi will reach a major milestone today with the opening of its 500th store, in Bury St Edmunds
The new store, in Newmarket Road, will carry around 1,350 product lines and includes an 85-space car park.
Aldi will be rewarding the first 100 customers with a golden envelope, containing a special ticket to win prizes including a 40-inch HD-ready TV, a 23-inch TV and a portable DVD player.
It will also be providing customers with free bacon and sausage sandwiches from its fresh meat range on opening day, as well as sampling a significant number of its award-winning products.
Aldi has also made a donation to support the Bury St Edmunds firework display on Saturday. November 2 in the Abbey Gardens, and will be hosting a face painter and balloon modeller at the store during the day on Saturday to entertain younger customers.
You may also want to watch:
Aldi, named Supermarket of the Year for two years running by consumer watchdog Which?, has recorded strong growth during 2013 while increasing its market share.
It has already opened a number of stores across eastern England so far this year, with more due to follow in the coming months. The opening of the Bury St Edmunds store has created 35 jobs.
- 1 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 5 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 6 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 7 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 8 Man and woman charged in connection with the theft of 85 dogs
- 9 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 10 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
Aldi area manager Azzura Reid said: “After much anticipation, we’re extremely pleased to be opening Aldi’s 500th store in Bury St Edmunds.
“We’re looking forward to welcoming customers into our new store and demonstrating how they will be able to swap and save with Aldi. In addition to the 100 golden tickets on offer, we’ll also be providing a free breakfast-buffet and entertainment for shoppers, and so we’re preparing for a great turnout on opening day.”
The stores opending hours will be 8am to 9pm Monday to Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sunday.