Bury St Edmunds: Greene King breaks through target to raise £1m for Macmillan Cancer Support
- Credit: Archant
Pubs and brewing group Greene King has topped its target to raise £1million for its national charity partner, Macmillan Cancer Support.
Greene King employees from across the country, including those based at its head office and brewing operations in Bury St Edmunds, have already raised £1.2million for the charity, with eight months still to go before the original target date.
Fundraising efforts, also supported by customers, have included in-house initiatives, such as “MacMillan May”, a month-long campaign led by pubs, and the “Tour de Horse”, a cycle challenge involving the group’s Hungry Horse restaurant chain, as well as support for MacMillan’s own flagship fundraiser, the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning.
More than 160 staff from across Greene King also took part in the Yorkshire Three Peaks walking challenge.
Greene King chief executive Rooney Anand said: “Our employees and customers have worked tirelessly with real passion and enthusiasm to raise much needed funds for Macmillan. I think it is truly inspirational that they have managed to smash our target and raise £1.2m with eight months of our partnership still to go.
You may also want to watch:
“We are all proud of how we have pulled together as a business to raise this exceptional amount for Macmillan to help those affected by cancer. I would like to congratulate everyone who has been involved in making our first ever national charity partnership such a resounding success.”
Lynda Thomas, director of fundraising at Macmillan Cancer Support, added: “To have reached and exceeded a fundraising target of £1m is an incredible achievement; congratulations to all the employees and customers of Greene King.
- 1 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 2 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 3 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 4 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 7 NHS hero injured in pub explosion feels 'lucky to be alive'
- 8 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 9 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 10 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
“The money raised will help fund Macmillan’s practical, emotional, financial and medical support services, all of which are vital as we aim to ensure that no one faces cancer alone. I can’t wait to see the fundraising heights our partnership could reach in the upcoming months, and on behalf of all of us at Macmillan, thank you.”
Greene King is a member of the EADT/EDP Top100 listing of the 100 largest companies in Suffolk and Norfolk.