Bury St Edmunds: Lobby group in bid to collect 100,000 signatures over business rates increase
BUSINESS leaders are calling on people to sign an online petition asking the Government to rethink the biggest annual jump in business rates for more than 20 years.
St Edmundsbury Business Rates Forum - which is made up of representatives from businesses and organisations such as the town’s chamber of commerce - has set up a Number Ten e-petition.
If more than 100,000 signatures are collected the issue has to be taken to the House of Commons.
The 5.6% increase in business rates is explained by the Government’s use of last September’s retail price inflation to set the bills.
While it has been common practice since 1990 to link the Uniform Business Rate to the previous September’s inflation figure, legislation permits the adoption of a lesser figure.
You may also want to watch:
The petition can be found at the following link: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/31706
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches
- 10 Cyclist hurt in crash with car