Bury St Edmunds: White Stuff wants to open new branch in Abbeygate Street
- Credit: Archant
A national retailer is hoping to open a store at an empty unit in a prime Bury St Edmunds location - revealing yet again the town is “thriving”.
Clothing brand White Stuff is planning to launch a new branch at the former Thing-Me-Bobs unit in Abbeygate Street in the heart of the market town.
The company has submitted a listed building application to refurbish the shop front of the premises - which has been vacant for a couple of years - and an advertisement application for signage and a new shop number.
Recently, applications have also been made for a Cote brasserie and a Bill’s restaurant at the former Barclays building in Abbeygate Street. Bury has also received a huge vote of confidence as the Arc shopping centre is set to be fully occupied for the first time since it opened in 2009 and new businesses are also opening their doors in the older part of the town.
A design and access statement for White Stuff said: “The existing property is in a conservation area and is Grade II Listed. It is currently vacant and was recently given consent to change from retail to restaurant use. This use was never developed.” It said a fashion retail store would “complement” the character of the area.
Mark Cordell, chief executive of the town centre’s BID (Business Improvement District) organisation Ourburystedmunds, said: “It’s a clear indication that national companies see Bury as a thriving town. They wouldn’t be investing here if they didn’t think it was profitable.”
You may also want to watch:
He said White Stuff opening up in Abbeygate Street would make it a “real destination,” adding together with the new children’s clothing shop Nino’s and plans for the former Barclays building it was a “real revitalisation for the street”.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!