A COLCHESTER lawyer has qualified as a solicitor advocate.Chris Graves is now one of a team of three solicitor advocates at Fisher Jones Greenwood who are able to represent clients in the higher courts in England and Wales.
A COLCHESTER lawyer has qualified as a solicitor advocate.
Chris Graves is now one of a team of three solicitor advocates at Fisher Jones Greenwood who are able to represent clients in the higher courts in England and Wales.
Mr Graves, a specialist in family law, explained that until 1994, only barristers had 'higher rights of audience' which meant that solicitors were required to instruct barristers to represent clients in the higher courts.
“Solicitor advocates however are granted higher rights and this means we are able to offer a complete service to a client, from initial advice through to case preparation and presentation before the courts,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
“This has huge benefits as it not only saves on costs but it means especially in complex cases there is continuity and we can develop a better understanding and knowledge of the case which is especially important in family law.”
Mr Graves spent a year preparing to become a solicitor advocate and joins colleagues Yvonne Spencer and Nigel Humpreys who have been qualified as solicitor advocates for some years.
- 1 Married Matt Hancock accused of affair after he is pictured kissing aide
- 2 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 5 Town considering move for Birmingham striker Cosgrove
- 6 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 7 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 8 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 9 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 10 Ipswich insurance broker snapped up by London firm
Tony Fisher, senior partner at the firm, said they were “delighted” at the expansion of their solicitor advocate team.