Chris McEwen to become part-time chairman at Suffolk-based Gipping Construction
- Credit: Archant
The founder of a leading Suffolk construction company is to hand over day-to-day management of the business to two senior colleagues.
Chris McEwen has been managing director of Gipping Construction, based at Baylham near Ipswich, since its launch in November 2004.
He is now to take on the part-time role of chairman, with Paul Orriss, currently financial director, and Andy Laflin, commercial director, becoming joint managing directors.
Mr McEwen said: “We have created a great team at Gipping since we launched the company in 2004 and I know that it is the right time for Paul and Andy to take over the day to day decisions. Our reputation for quality workmanship completed on time and to budget will be safe with them directing operations.
“I am also confident that our culture and ethos treating clients, employees and our supply chain in the same way that we would expect to be treated will be maintained.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “We started Gipping in temporary cabins with no work and have become a strong presence in the regional market and have prospered despite the challenges encountered during the recent challenging economic difficulties.
“I always indicated that I hoped to reduce my involvement after about ten years. I am looking forward to spending more time on some of my charity, outdoor and other business interests whilst continuing to help at Gipping when I am needed in a strategic role and keeping in touch with clients and colleagues whom I value as friends.”
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 5 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 9 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 10 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
Mr Laflin, who is currently Suffolk chairman for the National Federation of Builders, said he was “looking forward to the challenge of taking Gipping to the next level in the regional construction market”. He added: “With a strong order book, and some positive signs in the industry, we are well placed to move the business forward.”
Mr Orriss thanked Mr McEwen for his contribution to creating “a company that we can be proud of” and said he was looking forward to working with Mr Laflin in “maintaining a successful and happy company”.
Gipping Construction is currently working on projects valued at between £40,000 and £4million for clients in the private and public sectors including the Gilberd School in Colchester, malt firm Muntons in Stowmarket, the Colne Housing Association in Braintree, Sidegate School in Ipswich and the Greenfields housing association in Witham.