Crown claims wine pub title
A PUB with a nose for good wine has scooped a national accolade. The Adnams-owned Crown Hotel in Southwold was named Wine Pub of the Year by the Morning Advertiser newspaper at an awards ceremony in London.
A PUB with a nose for good wine has scooped a national accolade.
Adnams-owned Crown Hotel in Southwold was named Wine Pub of the Year by the Morning Advertiser newspaper at an awards ceremony in London.
The Crown, which lists over 200 different wines, including 24 available by the glass, was praised for the wide range of wines it offered and its commitment to employee training.
General manager Francis Guildea and duty manager Jenny Emery collected the award at the event, held at Old Billingsgate last week.
You may also want to watch:
Most staff at the Crown have Wine and Spirits Education Trust qualifications at either intermediate or advanced level.
“We actively encourage everyone to learn about wine, not just for business reasons but also for their personal interest,” said Ms Emery.
- 1 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 2 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 3 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 4 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 5 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 6 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 7 'I loved my time here... I should have stayed' - Former loanee Jeffers back with Town in coaching role
- 8 Stuart Watson's Verdict: Judge Chambers and Skuse's legacy by what their peers said
- 9 Takeaway owner fined £3.5k after series of food hygiene breaches
- 10 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
“Customers feel reassured getting information from people who are passionate and knowledgeable about our wines.
“Both front-of-house and kitchen staff participate in regular wine tastings to build their knowledge and enable them to recommend certain wines for specific dishes.
“We offer customers tastings if they are uncertain which wine to select for their meal.”
Mr Guildea described the award as a “fantastic achievement” and said they were up against stiff competition from around the country.
“Adnams is famous for its beers and has had a growing wine business for the last 30 years. Wine sales at the Crown grew 5% last year. We work very closely with the Adnams wine team to select a range of interesting wines for every occasion,” he said.