Crown claims wine pub title
A PUB with a nose for good wine has scooped a national accolade. The Adnams-owned Crown Hotel in Southwold was named Wine Pub of the Year by the Morning Advertiser newspaper at an awards ceremony in London.
A PUB with a nose for good wine has scooped a national accolade.
Adnams-owned Crown Hotel in Southwold was named Wine Pub of the Year by the Morning Advertiser newspaper at an awards ceremony in London.
The Crown, which lists over 200 different wines, including 24 available by the glass, was praised for the wide range of wines it offered and its commitment to employee training.
General manager Francis Guildea and duty manager Jenny Emery collected the award at the event, held at Old Billingsgate last week.
Most staff at the Crown have Wine and Spirits Education Trust qualifications at either intermediate or advanced level.
“We actively encourage everyone to learn about wine, not just for business reasons but also for their personal interest,” said Ms Emery.
- 1 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 2 Four-bedroom cottage on Dunwich clifftops for sale for £295k
- 3 Suffolk woman and her three dogs die in London crash
- 4 Thunderstorm warning issued for East of England
- 5 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 6 Man found unconscious in Ipswich alleyway following serious assault
- 7 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 8 A14 lane closure in Bury St Edmunds after two-car crash
- 9 Ipswich Town Transfer Talk: Taylor and Hirst links analysed
- 10 LOOK: 12 pictures from Weird and Wonderful Wood 2022
“Customers feel reassured getting information from people who are passionate and knowledgeable about our wines.
“Both front-of-house and kitchen staff participate in regular wine tastings to build their knowledge and enable them to recommend certain wines for specific dishes.
“We offer customers tastings if they are uncertain which wine to select for their meal.”
Mr Guildea described the award as a “fantastic achievement” and said they were up against stiff competition from around the country.
“Adnams is famous for its beers and has had a growing wine business for the last 30 years. Wine sales at the Crown grew 5% last year. We work very closely with the Adnams wine team to select a range of interesting wines for every occasion,” he said.