East Anglia: £15m order for Orwell Truck & Van under East of England Ambulance Service fleet upgrade
- Credit: Archant
Regional Mercedes-Benz commercial vehicle dealer Orwell Truck & Van has secured a £15million order as part of a major upgrade of the East of England Ambulance Service fleet.
The first batch of new ambulances, based on the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter 519 CDI chassis and fitted with purpose-designed box bodies by German specialist WAS, has just been delivered, with a total of 147 vehicles due to enter service by the end of 2014.
Most of them will replace older vehicles which are being phased out but there will be a net increase of 27 in the size of the fleet, taking the total to 310.
John Hole, head of fleet at the East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust, said: “The 5.0-tonne Mercedes-Benz Sprinter is well proven in operation and offers the combination of performance, reliability, safety and carrying capacity that allows us to provide a high-quality service to patients.
“Orwell Truck & Van is our preferred dealer and a company with which we have enjoyed a very good relationship over many years.
“It provides an excellent service, maintaining some of our ambulances in its workshops, and supplying parts to our own facilities in Norwich and at Barton Mills, Suffolk.”
Jonathan Ager, dealer principal at Orwell Truck & Van, which has centres in Ipswich, Colchester, Newmarket and Norwich, said: “We’re delighted to have won this order from the East of England Ambulance Service.
- 1 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 4 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 5 Two motorbikes stolen after break-in at Suffolk home
- 6 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 Village suffers power cut for 7 hours after vehicle hits electricity pole
- 9 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 10 Former Town striker's front-to-back season could end in Wembley glory
“We now look forward to maintaining our excellent relationship with the trust and to playing our part in delivering this important local service,” he added.