East Anglia: Adnams Pub Awards honour top licensees
THE Railway Inn at Aldeburgh was has been named as Adnams Pub of the Year.
Karl and Shirley Barber from the Railway won the award, presented during a ceremony at the Swan Hotel in Southwold, in recognition of the all-round quality of the pub’s offer.
Among the features the Railway was singled out for were the warmth of its welcome, its floral displays, its perfectly kept beer, its community involvement and its recycling commitment.
Another winner was the White Horse at Westleton, which was jointly awarded the Community Pub of the Year title together with the local community it serves.
The joint nature of the award recognised both the community spirit shown by Rick and Jennie Powling since taking over the White Horse six years ago and villagers’ support for Jennie since Rick’s death in July this year, and during his illness.
You may also want to watch:
Other winners included: the Wherry at Geldeston, (Best Floral Display), the Lord Nelson, Southwold (Best Kept Cellar); the Cherry Tree, Woodbridge (Sustainability); Lee and Marie Knight of the Queen’s Head, Blyford (Best Newcomers); the Bull Inn, Cavendish (Innovation); the Harbour Inn, Southwold (Overcoming Adversity), and the Randolph, Reydon (Charity).
Karen Hester, Adnams operations director, said: “This has been another tough year for the hospitality industry but there are many success stories. The Adnams Pub Awards allow us to take a step back and celebrate the hard work and commitment of our pub tenants.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 3 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
- 4 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 5 Coach Gill leaves Town with Cook wanting to bring in 'fresh faces'
- 6 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 7 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 8 Cook on Chambers, Skuse and whether Fleetwood clash could be their final Town game
- 9 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 10 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband