East Anglia: Brewers toast success in eastern region SIBA beer awards
Four brewers from Suffolk and Essex were among the winners in the Society of Independent Brewers eastern region beer competition for 2014.
In the cask beers categories, Nethergate, from Pentlow, near Sudbury, won the best bitters category with Suffolk County, and Mauldons, based in Subury, won the speciality beers category with Blackberry Porter.
Suffolk County was also runner-up in the overall championship, beaten only by Encore from Great Yarmouth-based Lacons, winner of the standard bitters category.
In the bottle beers categories, Barrell & Sellers from St Cross South Elmham, near Bungay, won the categories for bitter ales up to 4.9%abv with its Best Bitter and for gold beers with its India Pale Ale, and Lowestoft-based Green Jack won the speciality beers category with Flower Power.
Barrell & Sellers’ Best Bitter also won the overall championship for bottle beers.
You may also want to watch:
Mauldons owner Steve Sims said: “We are delighted by the continued success of Blackberry Porter; it’s a very distinctive product that has now collected 10 major awards since first brewed in the spring 2011.
“All credit must be given to our brewers Steve Birch and James Vernon; their commitment and dedication to brewing high quality beers is highlighted when major awards are given.”
- 1 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues 'in £100,000 tug-of-war' for non-league midfielder
- 2 Shop opens at Suffolk village pub
- 3 Traffic at standstill on A12 between Ipswich and Colchester
- 4 'We're keeping about 10% of the roster' - Johnson on Ipswich squad overhaul
- 5 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 6 Flooding off the A14 causes emergency road closure in Ipswich
- 7 Person with leg injury after 4-vehicle crash on A140
- 8 Pupils forced to isolate after Covid test result wrongly recorded as positive
- 9 Town announce home friendly with Premier League club
- 10 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
Mr Sims said that Blackberry Porter would feature at the Brewery Tap, Sudbury beer festival which starts on Thursday, October 9 and finishes on Sunday, October 12.
“We will also have our new beer Bronze Adder on show along with 21 other beers and ciders,” he added.