Essex law firm Birkett Long creates music and media team
- Credit: Archant
Law firm Birkett Long, which has offices in Colchester, Chelmsford and Basildon, has launched a music and media team which it believes is the first of its kind in the county.
It headed by Ian Allchin, who left a career in the music and media business in favour of law, and includes specialists employment, disputes and intellectual property.
Mr Allchin, originally from Bury St Edmunds but now living in Chelmsford, says the music industry is littered with disputes which could easily be avoided if the band members had entered into simple contracts before they hit the big time.
After 10 years in the music business working at every level with promoters, labels, managers, bands, media partners and sponsors, Mr Allchin has dealt with characters from across the full spectrum of the industry.
He spent two years at the BBC Television Centre working on a number of studio shows, was tour manager across Europe and the United States for The Specials and had other operational roles on tours for Glaswegian musician Paolo Nutini and The War of the Worlds stage show as well as being part of the management team at club nights in Ibiza such as Manumission and Ibiza Rocks.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “People wouldn’t necessarily think legal advice would be something they could afford or need but for any music-based artist who plans a long career in this industry it is worth talking to us.”
The team can also help with intellectual property for the digital media, video production or publishing businesses.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 4 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 5 Former Town star's son scores to help Hartlepool secure dramatic return to EFL
- 6 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 7 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 8 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 9 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
“Essex has an incredible range of creative industries. Our vision for the department is to provide a new and important service that hasn’t previously been available to people in this county. There is no reason why, over time, it cannot rival some of the big firms in the industry,” he added.