Essex law firm Birkett Long expands with acquisition of Colchester-based Asher Prior Bates
- Credit: Archant
Essex law firm Birkett Long has expanded again with the addition of Colchester-based Asher Prior Bates – its sixth acquisition in as many years.
Asher Prior Bates is one of the oldest firms of solicitors in the town, having been established in Head Street in around 1870 by Asher Prior, a former mayor of Colchester.
Having operated first as Asher Prior and later as Asher Prior & Sons, the firm was renamed Asher Prior Bates when the current principal, property lawyer Roger Buston, took over the helm during the 1980s.
At around the same time the firm also relocated to Crouch Street, close to the Colchester offices of Birkett Long which also has offices in Chelmsford and Basildon.
Adrian Livesley, managing partner at Birkett Long, said: “Asher Prior Bates is a very old firm. Roger Buston has been at the helm for over 35 years and has been a fantastic servant for his clients. He will be essential in making sure that service continues.
You may also want to watch:
“His practice is in Crouch Street – the same road as ours – so it’s fair to say we, too, have known him for a very long time and know of the good reputation he has built up.”
Mr Buston, who is a national council member for the Law Society for England and Wales, representing Suffolk and North Essex, said: “Like us, Birkett Long is a long established Essex firm and with their size and experience we are confident we will be able to offer a more extensive service to our clients, both individuals and businesses.
- 1 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 4 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
“In common with us, Birkett Long regards the personal relationship with their clients of paramount importance and our clients will benefit from the merger. By joining forces with them our existing clients can access a much broader set of legal services in a larger firm.”
Birkett Long’s last acquisition came in 2013 when it merged with E Edwards Son & Noice of Billericay. Before that, it also joined forces with Jackson & Partners and Passmores in Colchester, Weight, Wolny & Trusler in Chelmsford and Brian Ruff, Angus & Jewers in Wickford.
Birkett Long, which has 22 partners and 188 staff, is a full service law firm, including a wide range of services for businesses, including corporate and commercial, dispute resolution, employment and insolvency, as well as, for individuals, family law, wills and conveyancing.
Some Asher Prior Bates staff have transferred to Birkett Long and the others, with the help of Roger Buston, have found positions elsewhere.