Familiar hotel set to get a new look
THE Station Hotel in Ipswich is to undergo major investment following the agreement of a long-term lease between owner Punch Taverns and local businessman Eddie Roberts.
The deal for the hotel, located opposite the town’s main railway station, was organised by specialist agent UK Pub Sales, based in Bury St Edmunds.
Robin Boxall-Hunt, managing director of UK Pub Sales, said: “The property had great appeal with numerous members of the local community who were aware of the history and prominence of the hotel and saw vast potential of turning this into a leading entertainment venue in Ipswich.
“The incoming purchaser has serious plans to work alongside the landlord of the property, Punch Taverns, in rebranding the pub and redevelopment of the letting rooms, and we wish him every success.”
Mr Roberts, who already runs another pub in the town, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, is planning a �350,000 investment and an upgrade for the bars, restaurant and the 15 letting rooms.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “It is a beautiful building which is the first place many people see when they arrive in the town.
“There is loads of history here. Bobby Robson stayed here for three weeks when he arrived to manage Ipswich Town, I believe. We are thinking of naming one of the rooms The Robson Suite.
- 1 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 2 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 3 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 4 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 5 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 8 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 9 Farm to use renovated rail carriages as holiday lets
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Trial set to start as boy, 16, denies attempted murder
“Our aim is to return it to its former glory, keeping the best features and bringing everything else up-to-date.
“We are the away football fans’ pub on Saturdays, and that will continue,” added Mr Roberts.
“We aim to put in a sports bar/cafe, with a decking area overlooking the river at the rear, in the summer and ready for next season.”