Hadleigh father establishes online business for diabetes sufferers after his son is diagnosed with the condition
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk father whose son has type 1 diabetes has set up an online business selling consumables, equipment and fashion accessories for diabetes sufferers.
David Smith from Hadleigh launched www.diabeticsupply.co.uk earlier this year after struggling to find products of quality which people with diabetes could use to carry around their equipment in.
His son Evan, aged 11, was diagnosed as having diabetes around 18 months ago.
“I set in mind to open a one-stop shop for the UK diabetic community, which sells as much breadth of product as I felt we could,” he said.
“There are so many people doing amazing things for the diabetic world but often they are small hobby businesses and so hard to scale to the whole UK.”
He added: “We have at the heart of what we do the community in mind all the time.
You may also want to watch:
“Why should a five year-old not be able to carry their paraphernalia in a pink unicorn bag? Why should a teenager not be able to personalise their equipment? Why should a 30 year-old woman not be able to have a fashion bag which also caters for her finger pricker and insulin pen?”
Six months in, David, a former finance director who has now quit his job to concentrate solely on the project, says he services between 700 and 1,000 orders a month.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Exit Interview: Ward was the model pro who started fast but simply ran out of steam
He also plans to manufacture his own items and is working on a distribution partnership with a leading US supplier.