Hotel warm-up for Pearce’s prodigies
ENGLAND’S great hopes for future footballing success enjoyed the perfect warm-up for their triumphant five-nil victory over Iceland - a six day stay in a Suffolk hotel.
The England Under 21s squad stayed at Stoke by Nayland Hotel, Golf & Spa in the run-up to the match at Colchester stadium, using the hotel as their base for training.
Many hotel staff were given tickets to go and watch their decisive victory. The team then headed by coach to watch England play against Spain at Wembley on the Saturday, before flying from Stansted the next day for their match against Belgium.
The 47-strong squad included trainers, physios, video analyst, performance analyst and security and admin staff.
The team trained at Ipswich Town and Colchester Utd and also made good use of the Peake Fitness Technogym gymnasium and pool during their stay.
You may also want to watch:
Many of the team also managed to fit in some golf on one of the hotel’s two championship courses. The team included talented 18 year old Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain who plays for Arsenal.
Head coach Stuart Pearce said: “We were thoroughly I impressed by the facilities and the staff at Stoke by Nayland, and would recommend the hotel to any sports team staying in the area.”
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 4 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 Exit Interview: Ward was the model pro who started fast but simply ran out of steam
The Football Association selected the hotel to host the team because of its facilities and its track record in accommodating Premiership teams such as Manchester Utd, Arsenal and Chelsea, as well as the England Ladies team.