Innovation Martlesham firms offered role in Quantum Communications Hub
The cluster of more than 70 technology companies at BT’s Adastral Park complex near Ipswich are being offered the chance to play a key role in the cutting-edge world of quantum communications.
Members of Innovation Martlesham have been invited to take part in the development of new products and services based on pioneering research in quantum physics, as part of a new Quantum Communications Hub.
The hub, a consortium of universities, government bodies and industry players including BT, is part of a new national network of quantum technology hubs, established with £270million of Government funding to kick-start new industries based on quantum technologies.
Dr Tim Whitley, BT’s managing director of research and innovation, said: “Quantum communications is an exciting new frontier in communications research, and the UK has a chance to lead the world in developing and exploiting this technology.
“We’re excited that BT and other Adastral Park companies will have the opportunity to play a significant role in this cutting-edge work over the coming years.”
BT has been conducting its own research into quantum communications at Adastral Park for several years, focusing on Quantum Key Distribution, an advanced technique for securely sharing “keys” used in encrypted communications.
The company will build on this work as part of the hub, with BT researchers looking to test how quantum techniques might be applied to various aspects of telecommunications, including transferring data securely over networks, developing new secure services for clients, and new security apps.
- 1 Go-ahead for 1,000 new homes on controversial site
- 2 Ex-Town duo sign for League One rivals
- 3 'Inspiring and brilliant' Suffolk pilot, 21, died from an infected insect sting
- 4 Wooden fence panels stolen from front garden of home
- 5 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 6 Much-loved Stowmarket shop to re-open at new premises
- 7 New grazing restaurant opening on Suffolk high street this week
- 8 DVLA issues urgent warning to drivers in UK
- 9 Woman rescued after being swept out to sea off Suffolk coast
- 10 Pub gets dozens of calls asking - 'Do you know there's a dog on your roof?'
The hub will also provide a range of opportunities for businesses in the Innovation Martlesham cluster to push the boundaries of this new field.