Ipswich: Alstons Cabinets warns of redundancies
WORKERS at a bedroom furniture making business face an uncertain future following the launch of a consultation over redundancies.
All 130 people employed at Alstons Cabinets, off Nacton Road, Ipswich, have been told their jobs are at risk.
The company said all available options for the factory would be explored “with a view to preserving the business as far as possible.”
John Alston, managing director, said: “This has not been an easy decision to take but like many manufacturers we have struggled against a tide of cheap, lower quality imports.”
He added: “Despite reducing costs and improving its efficiency, the factory does not have enough orders to continue in its current form.”
You may also want to watch:
The Alston Group’s Colchester-based Alstons Upholstery business, which employs a further 180 people and accounts for 75% of its turnover, remains profitable and is not affected by the consultation in Ipswich.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 7 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 8 Busy high street taped off by police
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune