Ipswich: Building society boss’s marathon charity mission
- Credit: Archant
Paul Winter, chief executive of Ipswich Building Society, ran the Chicago Marathon in four hours 21 minutes on Sunday to raise charity funds for Fresh Start - New Beginnings and Cancer Campaign in Suffolk. It’s the first of three marathons he plans to run with the aim of raising £5,000 after completing the London Marathon earlier this year
“Running one marathon is an endeavour, running three is probably total madness,” he said.
He now plans to conquer the Paris and San Francisco marathons next year.
“I am a strong believer in giving back to society and to charity, particularly those that help support people from the area in which you live and work, in this instance Fresh Start – New Beginnings and Cancer Campaign in Suffolk,” he said.
“The way in which I have chosen to support these organisations will be hard and exceptionally challenging. But if I can complete my goal and raise £5000 then it will have all been worth it.”
You may also want to watch:
Diana Porter, chief executive of Fresh start- New Beginnings, said: “We do vital work for children and young people who have suffered the trauma of sexual abuse. The help we provide is no quick fix and can take months and in some cases years of therapy. Paul is doing us a great service by raising awareness and funds which will help us to continue and expand our efforts.”
Karen Hare, Chief Executive Cancer Campaign in Suffolk, added: “We help people throughout Suffolk before, during, and after cancer. We provide vital services through our John le Vay Cancer Information Centre which has around 4000 visits a year, offering support advice and information. We’re truly grateful for Paul’s effort we rely totally on the support of the Suffolk residents we serve.”
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 9 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
- 10 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
If you’d like to sponsor Paul Winter, visit, http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiserweb/fundraiser/showFundraiserProfilePage.action?userUrl=paulwinter4