Ipswich: Cookhouse chef creates a taste of the past for new Furniture Village store
- Credit: Archant
Shoppers at today’s official opening of a new furniture store in Ipswich will get a chance to try a local delicacy.
A recipe for “Ipswich Almond Pudding” appeared in The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy by Hannah Glasse, a classic culinary reference source of the 18th and 19th Centuries.
Although it does appear on local menues from time to time, the almond pudding has never achieved the wider fame of Yorkshire Pudding which also made an early appearance in print in the same publication.
Now, however, it has inspired the creation of a local speciality for the launch at Futura Park, Ipswich, of a new branch of Furniture Village, which is known for its offer of coffee and cookies for its customers.
The recipe has been updated by Steve Robson, head chef at the Cookhouse restaurant at the Suffolk Food Hall, just outside Ipswich at Wherstead.
You may also want to watch:
Wayne Dennington, general manager at the new store, said: “We thought a great way to get involved in the local community would be to team up with a business in the area on an exciting project. Our chosen expert confectioner has come up with a marvellous pastry version of our chosen traditional pudding.”
Steve Robson added: “We had a great time experimenting with the original recipe in order to make a delicious tartlet version. We refined Mrs Glasse’s original recipe slightly and added more almonds and sugar and less breadcrumbs, which we feel made the pastries even better.”
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 4 Busy high street taped off by police
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 Caravans pitch up at Felixstowe park
- 7 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 8 'Too many men can cause a problem' - Ashton says quality, not quantity, is key in Town's squad rebuild
- 9 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 10 My frustration at how rude drawings balls up our beaches