Ipswich: Top Bangladeshi restaurant title for the Maharani
THE owner of a Bangladeshi restaurant in Suffolk has won a top award at a national ceremony in London.
Manik Miah, from the Maharani restaurant in Norwich Road, Ipswich, was named the winner of the East of England award at the Bangladesh Caterers’ Association (BCA) awards.
Mr Miah, who opened the Maharani in 1993, said: “This is a very important recognition from our industry and I am delighted at this success.”
He was joined at the event, at the Westminster Plaza Hotel, by Ipswich mayor John Le Grys.
The BCA. set up in 1960, represents more than 12,000 restaurants from across the country, with about 95% of UK restaurants described as “Indian” actually being run by Bangladeshis.
You may also want to watch:
It is the main organisation representing the industry and over recent years it has lobbied government to allow enough specialist chefs to move to Britain from Bangladesh.
The guest of honour at the dinner was communities secretary Eric Pickles.
- 1 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 5 Gill has 'no regrets' over Norwich to Ipswich switch
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 8 Tim Hortons restaurant in Ipswich given green light
- 9 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
- 10 Teenage county lines drug dealer handed suspended prison sentence
He told the guests: “Curry may not have been born in Britain, but it’s found a home here. With over 12,000 establishments turning over �4.3billion each year it’s not difficult to see that British curry is a great success story.
“This Government wants to support the industry’s growth and development. I’m delighted to join you as you put the spotlight on the best of the best.”