Ipswich: Uncertainty for ModelZone staff following appointment of administrators
- Credit: Archant
Toy and model retail chain ModelZone has collapsed into administration, potentially affecting around 400 workers.
ModelZone, which has 47 stores across the UK including a branch in Ipswich, and its wholesaling arm Amerang have appointed Deloitte as administrator after losing out to online competitors and suffering hefty losses on onerous shop leases.
Deloitte said Modelzone gift vouchers would continue to be honoured but only towards 50% of the purchase price.
Deloitte said it was seeking to “preserve jobs” at ModelZone, which has its headquarters in Lancing, West Sussex, and secure a sale of the business as a going concern.
ModelZone founder David Mordecai, who is chief executive of Hawkin’s Bazaar parent Tobar Group, based in Norwich, is reportedly preparing to launch a rescue bid for the chain.
You may also want to watch:
He launched the business in 1987 after he bought Brighton-based Model Aerodrome, rebranding it ModelZone as he expanded the chain.
Richard Hawes, joint administrator and partner in Deloitte’s restructuring services practice, said: “ModelZone has historically been profitable, however in recent years the company entered into leases for new stores that proved to be loss making.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 6 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex
“This, coupled with the growth in online competition, has resulted in ModelZone generating losses over the last couple of years, which the board of directors has now concluded is unsustainable and sought the appointment of administrators.”
Its wholesaling business, Amerang, is profitable, but sought the protection of administration following the collapse of its sister company ModelZone, according to Deloitte.