HMV branch gets set for closure - but goes out on a high note
- Credit: Stuart Long
HMV in Bury St Edmunds has bowed out in musical style with the help of the John Peel Centre.
The Stowmarket music venue helped staff and shoppers enjoy the final hours of trading by providing a DJ to give a day-long set on Friday before the store finally closes on Saturday, January 25.
The branch, in the Arc shopping centre, is one of three closing down nationally, with HMV bosses blaming high business rates and rents.
Store worker Stuart Long said staff at the Bury branch had been touched by messages of support from well-wishers, along with cards and gifts.
"We've had cards, letters, chocolates, even beer. The support has been really touching," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"We've done a lot with the John Peel Centre over the years, promoting what they do, so when they heard we were going they offered us a DJ to do a set and it's gone down really well."
Support was also strong online, with Twitter users sending support. @realruskus said: "Sad it finally happened. Thanks for the music chats. Hope you're all ok and things work out. What a nice bunch of people.", while @paullistensto said: "Absolutely gutted for you I know first hand what it's like but you will find people will still value your love of music. What people love about HMV is the passion for music and film and that will never go away."
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!