Lakenheath’s Murfitt Industries hopes its new infill technology will allay safety concerns over artificial pitches
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk manufacturer of infill for artificial sports pitches has launched a new product that, it says, eliminates any risk to the health of players and the wider environment.
Lakenheath-based Murfitt Industries says it has launched PRO-gran in response to a growing perception that the standard black rubber crumb infill used on many artificial pitches may not be totally safe.
Murfitt’s new infill uses rubber coated in polyurethane designed to prevent the release of heavy metals or micro plastics.
Managing director Mark Murfitt said: “Although the consensus of the studies about black rubber crumb is that it causes no significant risk to health or the environment, we wanted people to enjoy participating in sport without worrying about the playing surface.
“A year of research and development later we offer a product that not only eliminates any concern about player or public health, but also creates a more enjoyable playing experience.”
The new technology has so far been used on artificial pitches used by Shelford Rugby Club near Cambridge and Cirencester Football Club.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Murfitt added “Since PRO-gran has been installed on its first two pitches, the feedback we’ve had from the clubs and installers has been incredibly positive and means that we are able to spread good news about the future of artificial pitches.”
- 1 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 2 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 7 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 8 Chambers and Skuse to leave Ipswich Town
- 9 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 10 Car ends up on side after crash involving parked car