London Stansted improves its ‘green’ credentials with reusable coffee cups
- Credit: Archant
London Stansted Airport is handing out more than 2,000 re-useable coffee cups to staff this week in a drive to cut waste.
To reduce the use of disposable coffee cups, re-useable “vision green” branded beakers are on offer to all of the airport’s directly employed staff.
Although no airport waste is currently diverted from landfill and 75% of Stansted’s refuse is recycled, takeaway cups are not easy to dispose of responsibly.
The issue of the cups is part of Stansted’s Recycling Week which began on Monday with an exhibition highlighting recycling facts, and a quiz to win “green” prizes including desk plants.
The week also includes a “uniform amnesty” for the returning and recycling of un-needed uniform items as well as an “e-waste” drop off for easy disposal of unwanted electronics.
You may also want to watch:
The week will end with a “Recycle Tour”, for staff wishing to know more about the journey of items sent for recycling at the airport.
Martin Churley, environment manager at Stansted, said: “The aim of Recycling week is to highlight all the good work the business is doing to maintain and improve our environmental credentials, and to motivate even more colleagues to help us hit our ambitious targets for recycling and other initiatives.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 6 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 7 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 8 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 9 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 10 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown
“The take up for the free cups has been great and testament to the appetite to be even greener at Stansted. We hope Recycling Week will become an annual event.”