`The Swan is a fine example of innovation and entrepreneurial spirit’
- Credit: Stuart Inns
Which Suffolk pub has been named by the AA as best restaurant with rooms in the country?
The team behind a Suffolk pub and restaurant are celebrating after winning a national prize for their excellent accommodation.
The Long Melford Swan, which is leased from Greene King by Andrew Macmillan and his family’s company Stuart Inns, has won the ‘Restaurant with Rooms of the year’ award at the AA B&B awards.
Andrew, along with his daughter Lorna Pissarro and sons Oliver and Iain Macmillan, opened the Long Melford Swan in 2011, which was their first venture before later taking on three other Greene King pubs: The Hadleigh Ram, which was awarded a Bib Gourmand by the Michelin guide in October, as well as the Lavenham Greyhound and the Old Crown in Girton, Cambridgeshire.
Lorna, Stuart Inns’ design and marketing director, said: “We were so shocked and thrilled to win. When we first took on The Swan we saw the potential for accommodation. Long Melford has so much to offer and there’s a lot for visitors to do. It’s right in the middle of the high street and there’s a number of fantastic independent shops, plus Kentwell Hall.”
You may also want to watch:
The Long Melford Swan has seven rooms in total – two above the pub itself, one above the neighbouring Duck Deli, which Stuart Inns opened in 2016, and then four in the separate building Melford House, which are often hired out by groups or wedding parties.
“Adding the Duck Deli has completed the whole experience,” Lorna said. “We put deli hampers in the rooms. Customers can go for afternoon tea at The Swan, then pop in the deli and find things to take home. It’s added another area that completes the journey for our guests when they come to stay.
- 1 'If offers are higher elsewhere, so be it' - Wigan CEO on losing Evans to Ipswich
- 2 Get ready for League One's 'Arizona Derby' as Lincoln follow Town with Phoenix investment
- 3 Why these Suffolk villages were named among 'most beautiful to visit'
- 4 Thunderstorms expected to continue until Saturday in Suffolk and Essex
- 5 Wanted man arrested in Stowupland village
- 6 Chambers on a 'Town core setting standards' at Colchester
- 7 Aldi targets Felixstowe, Saxmundham and Sudbury for new stores
- 8 Farmer's anger at 'utterly vile' dog owner who tied dog mess to gate lock
- 9 Saxmundham man, 26, appears in court charged with 11 child sex offences
- 10 'Happy-go-lucky' mum died in Ipswich days after news of second lockdown
“We’re so proud to win this prestigious award and it’s a real testament to the team there and we’d like to thank them all for their passion and dedication. They make The Swan what it is and we get so many comments from guests praising the rooms, service and food.”
The AA inspector praised The Long Melford Swan for “boutique rooms, attentive service and hospitality in a delightful Suffolk village”.
John Forrest, managing director of Greene King Pub Partners, added: “I’m absolutely thrilled to hear of another success for Andrew Macmillan and the rest of the team at Stuart Inns.
“They operate three outstanding Suffolk pubs where people know they are guaranteed quality and a wonderful experience, and we were delighted when they recently took on a fourth pub of ours – The Old Crown in Girton.
“The Long Melford Swan is a fine example of innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, with its bar, restaurant, neighbouring delicatessen and award-winning accommodation.”