Lowestoft-based Hughes Electrical in Olympic Games TV effort
A marathon effort from Hughes Electrical staff saw them install 450 televisions in a day at the Olympic Village in London.
The Lowestoft-based firm, which has outlets across East Anglia was tasked with the job after winning an order from the European Broadcasting Union to supply the sets for the International Broadcasting Centre at the Olympics.
The total order was for 950 televisions ranging from 19ins to 55ins and of these 500 went directly to the media centre while the other 450 had to be installed in accommodation blocks in the Stratford area of London.
Under the terms of the undisclosed deal, the equipment is being hired on a short term basis to the EBU and when the Games are over it will be returned to Hughes Electrical, checked, cleaned and refreshed before being rented out to families across East Anglia.
The deal follows the success of sister company Trade Electricals Direct (TED) in winning an order from the EBI to supply the sets for the International Broadcasting Centre at the Olympics.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Chisnall, TED general manager, said: “We have been involved in the Olympic project for over two years and have secured a total of 15 contracts from this association.”
“That we have been so successful is a testimony to the skilled people we have within the Hughes Electrical Group and we can all watch the opening ceremony with a sense of deep pride.”
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Man in 40s dies following A12 crash
- 3 'People might think I'm crocked now... but I fully back myself' - Norwood determined to make his mark
- 4 'He nearly ruined my club' - Bent on former Ipswich boss Lambert
- 5 Siegrist and Amos leading targets as Town step up hunt for new No.1
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 25 of the best cafes for outdoor dining in Suffolk
- 8 Off-duty PC caught speeding on A14
- 9 A12 re-opens after man seriously hurt in two-car crash
- 10 Mum 'shocked' to be given car park fine while breastfeeding child
“Installing and commissioning 450 televisions at multiple locations in a single day was a massive achievement and one very, very few companies could have handled.”