Mark the date – the world’s biggest container ship, the CSCL Globe, is coming to Felixstowe next month
- Credit: Archant
It’s longer than the Shard is tall and everyone is likely to buy some of the goods it carries.
The world’s largest ship, the CSCL Globe, will be visiting the Port of Felixstowe early next year.
Its visit to the Suffolk dock is its first sojourn to Europe and the only place it will call at in the UK.
The cargo ship, which is 400 metres long, will carry a variety of consumer goods including food, drink, clothing, electrical goods and furniture from Asia to Europe.
The majority of these goods will be destined to the high street while British-made products will be shipped out on the CSCL Globe and exported to the Far East.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Davey, head of corporate affairs at Hutchison Ports (UK) Limited, which owns the Port of Felixstowe, said: “The arrival of this ship represents a first for the UK.
“It is important economically, the direct call recognises the scale of the UK economy, and economies-of-scale provide the most efficient way to get UK exports to important Asian markets.”
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 3 Woman's body found in village home
- 4 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 7 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 8 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 9 Wigan kitman Craney given Town coaching role by Cook
- 10 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
He added that because of the huge variety of goods to be carried on the ship it is likely everyone in the country will buy something which has been carried on the vessel.