Farm’s 100th female alpaca baby named after Bond Girl Vesper
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk alpaca farm has welcomed its 100th ‘Bond Girl’ baby.
Paul and Jude Rylott of Melford Green Alpacas, based at Darsham Old Hall, near Southwold, were delighted with the arrival of Vesper, who was up on her feet within 10 minutes.
Since 2005, following the birth of their first baby alpaca, or cria, the couple have named the females after Bond Girls, calling the first Ursula after actor Ursula Andress, and subsequent arrivals names such as Moneypenny, Tatiana, Solitaire and Jynx.
The farm, which breeds and sells alpacas as companion animals, has celebrated 200 births, with the latest born at 6pm.
“This is quite unusual - 99% of the time, alpacas give birth during the mornings, which in Peru ensures the cria is well fed and running around by nightfall around 5pm, when the temperature drops and the predators come out. It’s a very neat survival skill that typifies this stoic species,” said Paul.
You may also want to watch:
The latest ‘Bond Girl’ is named after a character from Casino Royale with Daniel Craig.
“In Latin, Vesper means evening – so seemed a very fitting name for this rather special Bond Girl,” said Paul.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 6 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!