NFU office holders re-elected
- Credit: Submitted
Meurig Raymond has been re-elected as president of the National Farmers Union (NFU), along with two other senior office-holders in the union’s leadership team.
Pembrokeshire farmer Mr Raymond will now lead the NFU for another two years. Minette Batters, a livestock farmer from Wiltshire, was re-elected deputy president and Guy Smith, a farmer from Essex, was re-elected vice president.
Mr Raymond said: “I’m extremely proud to be re-elected as president of the NFU and I’m grateful that the membership and NFU Council have supported me in the way they have.
“We need to build on what has been achieved over the past two years and convince the policy-makers, retailers, consumers and society of the importance of food production and British farming and that we, as farmers, can help to grow the rural economy.
“After a successful conference and hearing how much support there is from consumers in supporting the Back British Farming campaign, I know this is a good foundation to build on.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Batters said: “It is a huge honour for me to be re-elected deputy president of the NFU. I’m delighted and I’d like to thank the membership and NFU Council. Farming has been going through some really challenging times recently and I’m looking forward to serving another term serving. I’ve always said the NFU is a game-changer for British farming and I look forward to playing a part in this over the next two years.”
Mr Smith said: “I’ve very much enjoyed working with Meurig and Minette over the past two years in what have been very testing times. And I look forward to working with them again in what looks like an equally demanding period. I’m grateful for the vote of confidence from council and I look forward to the challenge. It’s when times are tough that our members need a strong and effective NFU the most.”
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 6 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published