Campaigning Suffolk business leaders press case for £800m A14 improvements at DfT meeting
- Credit: Archant
Campaigning Suffolk business leaders took their case for £800m worth of improvements to the A14 to the Department for Transport (DfT).
Suffolk Chamber chief executive John Dugmore, policy director Nick Burfield and Bury St Edmunds MP Jo Churchill met transport under-secretary Jesse Norman MP.
Highways England’s Strategic Road Network Initial Report earmarked the A14 as a ‘current, planned and potential expressway’ or motorway-grade two-lane highway. The road needs investment at seven pinch points to bring it up to scratch, the Chamber says. “The No More A14 Delays in Suffolk campaign is one of our most important current strategic lobbying initiatives and we wanted to emphasise the importance of the highway not only to local businesses, but as the arterial route for goods passing through Felixstowe to and from the Northern Powerhouse and Midlands Engine.” said Mr Dugmore.
“I think the Minister got the message about the A14 in Suffolk and we were encouraged by his level of interest and the responses he gave.”
Mrs Churchill said it was a “constructive” discussion. “It is vital we continue to push for improvements to this stretch of national strategic infrastructure,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Chamber and its partners backed the report’s proposals during a DfT consultation by the Department for Transport earlier this year.
The DfT is due to announce successful schemes within the next year, with work expected to begin on these between 2020 and 2025.
- 1 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 2 Body of man, 22, found in River Orwell
- 3 First look at £10m Sudbury garden centre revamp
- 4 Mum of 'beautiful' Lily calls for young people to have their hearts tested
- 5 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 6 'I'll always have love for Ipswich, but it was time to move on' - Dozzell signs for QPR
- 7 QPR trigger buy-out clause to sign Dozzell for £1m
- 8 'Kind and loving' husband-to-be dies of lymphoma aged 27
- 9 Former Town assistant Taylor back in football
- 10 265 new homes set to be built off A14 at Stowmarket