Pig producer Joe Stent from Beccles named Young Farmer of the Year
- Credit: Archant
A Suffolk pig producer has been named Young Farmer of the Year at an awards ceremony staged at the Houses of Parliament in Westminster.
Joe Stent, from Poplar Trees Farm, near Beccles, received the honour at the 2014 Farm Business Food and Farming Industry Awards, organised by the farming website www.farmbusiness.cc .
The ceremony was held in the House of Commons members’ dining room, with the awards being presented by author, broadcaster, entertainer and former MP Gyles Brandreth.
“Joe has shown a keen eye for business opportunities, both within his main business, finishing pigs for BQP, and also for developing renewable energies and environmental schemes, growing the finishing business from 2,000 to 6,000 pigs,” his citation read.
“In order to enable this expansion Joe has invested wisely in ground, buildings and in renewables including rainwater harvesting technology. With Joe’s plans for future expansion he looks set to continue with his recent successes.”
The award was sponored by Massey Ferguson, with the trophy being presented by Campbell Scott, the company’s director of sales, engineering and brand development, and Freddie Pullan, its technical traning manager.
At the same event, Andrew Nelstrop, owner and managing director of the English Whisky Company from Roudham in Norfolk, received a “highly commended” certificate in the Family Business of the Year category.
- 1 Car seized as driver tries to avoid parking fees at Stansted Airport
- 2 Go-ahead given for 74 new affordable homes for Suffolk town
- 3 McKenna: Pre-season results are not important
- 4 Suffolk second home owners could face Airbnb ban under crackdown
- 5 Needham Market 0 Ipswich Town 7: Chaplin nets hat-trick
- 6 Norwood holds talks with one of Town's fellow League One rivals
- 7 Road closed as emergency services attend two-vehicle crash
- 8 Investigations continuing after man suffers serious injuries in crash
- 9 Rogue trader in white van visits homes in west Suffolk
- 10 Photo gallery: Needham Market v Ipswich Town
“This farming family over generations have grown and processed grain for over 600 years,” the citation said. “The whisky distillery was officially opened seven years ago by HRH the Prince of Wales, and they have just been awarded ‘European Whisky of the Year’ for 2014.”