Port of Felixstowe first in UK to handle one million containers by rail in a year
- Credit: Picture: Stephen Waller
Felixstowe has become the first port in the UK to handle the equivalent of more than 1m standard containers by rail in a single year.
The 1m TEU mark ? TEU (twenty-foot equivalent unit) being the standard industry measure for container volumes ? was reached today during the loading of the 13.34 Freightliner service to Birmingham.
Clemence Cheng, chief executive at the Port of Felixstowe and executive director of its parent company, Hutchison Ports, said: “This new milestone for the port reflects the dedication of our workforce and the excellent relationships we have developed with all the rail freight operators at the port.
“Rail is an increasingly important differentiator for shipping lines as well as importers and exporters and we are able to offer them a greater number of rail services to more destinations, more often, than any other port.
“Rail is also a key factor in reducing the environmental impact of transport and helps reduce road congestion. We are continuing to invest heavily in rail infrastructure at Felixstowe and are currently working with Network Rail on capacity enhancements to the Felixstowe Branch Line.”
You may also want to watch:
Adam Cunliffe, UK managing director of Freightliner Group, added: “We would like to congratulate the Port of Felixstowe on this achievement. As a reliable, efficient and sustainable method of distribution demand for intermodal rail freight continues to grow.
“The Port of Felixstowe plays a vital role in delivering a broad network of rail services to all major UK conurbations. We look forward to continuing to work with Felixstowe to further grow the movement of containers by rail.”
- 1 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 4 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 5 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 6 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 7 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 8 Ipswich Town face fight to keep young midfielder Gibbs with rivals Norwich among interested clubs
- 9 'Spooky' bushes full of caterpillars spotted near Suffolk roads
- 10 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
There are a total of 66 freight train movements at the Port of Felixstowe making it the UK’s busiest intermodal rail freight terminal.
In addition to Freightliner, services are offered by GB Railfreight and DB Cargo to destinations including Glasgow, Manchester, Trafford Park, Liverpool, Leeds, Teesport, Birmingham, Doncaster, Rotherham, Hams Hall, Daventry, Wakefield, Ditton (Widnes), Birch Coppice and Bristol.