Southwold: Adnams brews up a taste of Brazil for the World Cup
- Credit: Archant
Fergus Fitzgerald, head brewer at EADT/EDP Top100 member Adnams, has teamed up with counterparts from Brazil to develop an authentic taste of South America.
Ahead of the FIFA World Cup, currently being hosted by Brazil, Samuel Cavalcanti and colleagues from the Brodebrown Brewery in Curitiba visited Southwold to brew a beer exclusively for JD Wetherspoon pubs.
The result, says Fergus, is an American-inspired pale ale, featuring Centennial, Eldorado and Amrillo hops, which lend the beer elements of citrus, orange blossom and watermelon, with the addition of some Brazillian pink peppercorns which provide a slight peppery juniper berry note.
“We forget sometimes about the diversity of breweries we have at home but the rest of the world is catching up fast and the number of new breweries opening up in Brazil is amazing,” said Fergus.
“The guys brought lots of presents over, including the most important which was some of their beer. I really enjoyed a beer they brewed with stone which was a cocoa infused IPA. It was delicious although my taste buds did need to reconcile themselves with this pale gold beer tasting of chocolate.
“The guys were great company and they brought along a friend of theirs from Paraguay to act as translator, although their English was fine. Anyway, I think we proved over the course of the few days that a couple of beers make us all better translators.”
The visit to Southwold also included, inevitably, a kick-around on the beach.
- 1 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 2 Four-bedroom cottage on Dunwich clifftops for sale for £295k
- 3 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 4 'It riles me to the core' - Anger as sofas dumped near Suffolk beauty spot
- 5 A14 lane closure in Bury St Edmunds after two-car crash
- 6 Dog walker in his 70s suffers cuts and bruises after attack in west Suffolk
- 7 'The children were buzzing' - Ed Sheeran sends video to Suffolk school
- 8 Thunderstorm warning issued for East of England
- 9 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 10 Suffolk market town will lose its Post Office in June
Fergus added: “We’ve been invited to Brazil to brew a beer and take a trip on the beer train, which is a beer tasting event organised by Bodebrown on board a train from Curitiba to Morretes which takes you through some spectacular scenery.
“My list of places that I really want to visit is growing, but this is certainly near the top of that list.”
Curitiba is the capital of the Brazilian state of Paraná, in the south of the country, and, with a population of around 1.7million is the eighth largest city in Brazil.
It is among the venues hosting matches during the World Cup, its first being last night’s game between Iran and Nigeria.
Bodebrown Cerveja Curitiba Brazilian Pale Ale is available in JD Wetherspoon pubs throughout June and into early July, while stocks last.