Southwold: Karen Hester to join the main board at Adnams
- Credit: Archant
Karen Hester, the head of operations at Southwold-based brewer and distiller Adnams, is to join the company’s main board as an executive director.
Her appointment, due to take effect from the company’s next annual general meeting in April 2015, is the latest step in a career which has seen her rise through the ranks since joining Adnams as a part-time cleaner in 1988.
Karen’s expertise in operational management, stemming from a previous career in Army, was quickly spotted and, having progressed through company roles in logistics, procurement and transport, she became operations director in 2007.
She is now reponsible for operations across Adnams’ brewery, distillery, hotels, pubs and shops, which together employ more than 400 people.
Her achievements have received wide recognition, including the East of England Business Woman of the Year title in 2008 and the CBI First Women Business of the Year award in 2013, reflecting Adnams’ success in supporting female employees to reach their full potential.
Company chairman Jonathan Adnams said: “Karen has a superb proven track-record for her management of all areas of our business. She is well-respected throughout the organisation and we look forward to her joining the main board.”
Chief executive Andy Wood added: “I am absolutely delighted for Karen; she has the tenacity and talent that has been allowed to flourish here at Adnams and is a terrific role model for others.
- 1 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 2 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 3 School apologises for GCSE paper error as it falls to inadequate
- 4 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 5 Colchester gets city status - fuelling disappointment over no Ipswich bid
- 6 My Suffolk Life: ‘We had to move to Suffolk to be together’
- 7 'It makes you want to cry' - anger as bench dumped in pond at country park
- 8 Indiana Jones-inspired metal detectorist finds £65k Roman hoard
- 9 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 10 Big sales, Bosmans and 'mutual consent' - Why contracts are a balancing act
“Following the appointments of Bridget McIntyre and Nicky Dulieu, Karen will be the third woman to join our main board and will be our first female executive director.”
Karen said: “Adnams is a fantastic company which firmly believes in nurturing and developing its own people. I joined Adnams some 26 years ago and have been positively encouraged and supported throughout my career.
“I feel honoured and extremely proud to be the first female executive director to join the board and am looking forward to continuing to support others to develop their own careers.”