Stansted: Airport’s annual passenger total returns to growth
- Credit: www.baa.com/photolibrary
Stansted Airport saw a fourth cosecutive monthly increase in passenger numbers during June.
The airport handled 1.662million passengers last month, 2.0% up on June 2012, taking the rolling annual total into positive territory at 17.742m, 0.5% up on the previous 12 months.
Following 1.0% growth in January, which left the rolling annual total still 2.8% lower compared with the previous 12 months, February saw numbers remain broadly flat while March, April and May saw growth of 3.8%, 3.1% abd 9.5% respectively.
Cargo tonnage was 5.1% down in June, at 16,722 tonnes, but remains 6.6% ahead on an annual basis at 217,903 tonnes.
Last month also saw the start of work on an £80million project to transform Stansted’s iconic passenger terminal.
You may also want to watch:
The launch was attended by Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin, alongside airport bosses including Mike Davies, chairman of Manchester Airports Group (MAG), which acquired Stansted earlier this year from the former BAA group, and Andrew Harrison, the new managing director at the airport.
The interior or the Lord (Norman) Foster-designed terminal is being remodelled to reflect changing trends in air travel, with most passengers using Stansted now checking-in online and travelling without checked-in baggage.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 8 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
Features of the new layout will include an enlarged departure lounge and new security facilities, representing the biggest change at Stansted since the terminal building opened in 1991.
MAG is investing £40m in the project to revamp the terminal,supported by a further £40m that will be invested by commercial partners.