Stansted: Airport’s new security area is officially opened by Aviation Minister Robert Goodwill
- Credit: Archant
A new and enlarged security search area at Stansted Airport has been officially opened by Aviation Minister Robert Goodwill MP.
The 22-lane facility, which became operational just before Christmas and has increased capacity for security checks by 20%, represents the first phase of an £80milliohn project to transform the airport’s terminal building to meet the present-day requirements and expectations of passengers.
It includes 20 automatic self-serve entrance gates, dedicated lanes for families and passengers with reduced mobility and a fast track lane for premium travellers.
Mr Goodwill said: “It was fantastic to see for myself the transformation of the terminal at Stansted and to hear about how passengers will benefit from measures to keep queues down, including more security lanes and new facilities for families with buggies and wheelchair users.
“By making this investment, Stansted is showing that it is stepping up to the challenges of keeping the UK well connected.”
You may also want to watch:
The investment by Manchester Airports Group, which acquired Stansted from the former BAA group a year ago, is in response to dramatic changes seen in air travel since the terminal opened, with far fewer passengers now using check-in desks or travelling with hold baggage but spending more time in the departure lounge.
The previous security screening area was “landlocked” in the centre of the terminal meaning all passengers had to pass through check-in even if they didn’t need to be there. The new security area has been relocated so that passengers entering the terminal without check-in luggage can immediately enter the security area.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 3 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 4 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Ipswich to face army of familiar faces as Town draw U's in EFL Trophy
- 10 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
Work is now in progress on the next phase of the transformation, to create a new centrepiece departure lounge.
Andrew Harrison, managing director at the airport, said: “This is a great day for Stansted and the millions of passengers who use the airport each year, and we’re delighted the Minister was able to join us today to officially open the new and improved security area.
“In just 12 months since taking ownership we have managed to achieve this major milestone, a key element of our ambition to transform Stansted. I’ve been immensely impressed by the dedication and commitment of our people, the level of support from on-airport partners and above all, the enthusiasm for change at Stansted.
“Our focus is to provide great customer service, value and facilities and put Stansted in the strongest position to compete effectively for new routes airlines and passengers. The transformation of our terminal is a critical element in achieving this aim and central to our future growth plans for the airport.”