Stowmarket: ‘Ethical’ accolade for maltings business Muntons
- Credit: Archant
A MALTINGS business is celebrating a new designation as an ethical trading company following an intensive audit.
Stowmarket-based Muntons was invited to become part of the pilot Suppliers Ethical Data Exchange (SEDEX) scheme by Carlsberg, one of its major brewing customers.
The SMETA (SEDEX Members Ethical Audit) audit involved having its performance measured and tested independently. The audit looked at labour standards, health and safety, environment and business practice.
Muntons says it was highly praised by the auditor. It was selected to be audited because of its well-established sustainability reputation within the malting trade, it added.
Manufacturing and technical director Dr Nigel Davies said: “Passing this audit underlines Muntons continued commitment to sustainable manufacturing and strengthens our business credibility. Already customers within our supply chain are indicating that without a SMETA certification they may wish to delist companies as suppliers within the next three years.
You may also want to watch:
During the three-day intensive audit, which took place at the Muntons site in Stowmarket, nearly 20% of the workforce was interviewed to determine if the ethical standards Muntons has put in place were understood and working for the benefit of all employees.
There was also an in depth verification of a variety of personnel documentation such as proof of staff identity and eligibility to work, analysis of pay rates, monitoring of overtime, health, safety and environmental practices. Good governance was assessed by examination of policies on bribery, whistle blowing, staff facilities and communication of sustainability and ethics inside and outside the company.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 3 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 4 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 5 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 6 Armed police box in cars on A12 after men seen 'fighting with swords'
- 7 Exit Interview: Farewell to Ipswich Town's most iconic player of the last decade
- 8 Town confirm four more exits at end of season
- 9 Delays continue on A12 after lorry rolls in crash
- 10 Murder accused storms out of witness box after admitting stabbing his ex