Suffolk Chamber and EADT team up to offer local firms their say in the EU referendum debate
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk Chamber of Commerce and the East Anglian Daily Times are teaming up to hold three EU referendum debates around the county.
The events, which are taking place in Bury St Edmunds, Lowestoft and Ipswich, and are being sponsored by Parker Communications, will be chaired by Terry Baxter of Inspire Suffolk.
Representatives from Britain Stronger in Europe and Business for Britain s, the two business-focussed organisations representing each side of the debate, will speak at the events, with guests then having the opportunity to raise questions and make points of their own.
They will also be invited to vote electronically (and anonymously) where they stand on staying in or leaving the EU, both before and after the speeches and discussions, with the results being posted on screen.
Sarah Howard, president of Suffolk Chamber of Commerce, which represents more than 1,400 businesses in the county, said: “We hope that these three events will not only allow both sides in the EU debate to put their case, but will give Suffolk’s businesses the chance to cut through the spin, get to the facts and help them make up their minds as to what is best for their businesses.”
John Dugmore, chief executive of Suffolk Chamber, added: “Although our organisation remains neutral on the issue of the EU referendum, we know that our members and indeed the wider Suffolk business community hold a range of views on this key topic.
“But all are in agreement that businesses need to hear clear and coherent arguments from both sides of the debate. That is why we believe that these three debates will be the definitive chance to listen, question and vote.”
- 1 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 2 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 3 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 4 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 5 Suspected wanted man chased through Suffolk village
- 6 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 7 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 8 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 9 Body of woman found in river in Hadleigh
- 10 The Range secures huge logistics hub at new A14 business park
The dates and venues for the events, all of which start at 5.30pm, are: May 25, Ashlar House, Bury St Edmunds; June 7, Hotel Victoria, Lowestoft; and June 9, University Campus Suffolk, Ipswich.
For further information, visit www.suffolkchamber.co.uk/events/suffolk_chamber_events/ .