Suffolk: Chamber highlights business need for long-haul flights from Stansted
- Credit: Archant
Business leaders in Suffolk have highlighted the need for Stansted Airport to offer long-distance flights to destinations such as the United States and the Far East.
Speaking at a private dinner hosted by Suffolk Chamber of Commerce at Ipswich Town Football Club, Stansted managing director Andrew Harrison said business travellers were high on the list of priorities in discussions between Manchester Airports Group, which acquired the airport earlier this year, and potential new airline customers.
Mr Harrison also said that, while investments in other areas of infrastructure such as roads, rail, energy and broadband were all important, it was vital that airports were not left behind and were able to prepare for future growth in demand for air travel.
His comments were welcomed by senior members of Suffolk Chamber as supporting the county’s efforts to attract inward investment and secure more export trade, but the need for new long-distance routes to be added to the European distinations currently served was also highlighted.
Stephen Britt, chairman of the Suffolk Chamber Transport Group, said: “Firms around the table left Andrew in no doubt about what they want from London Stansted.
You may also want to watch:
“Exporting is a way of life for firms in Suffolk and while businesses greatly value the low cost airline appeal they want to be able to travel to the USA and to the Far East without having to drive past Stansted on the M11 to get to Heathrow.”
Suffolk Chamber president Peter Funnell said: “There is no doubt that Stansted Airport is based in a great position for those global businesses wanting to invest in the UK.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 3 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 4 Luke Chambers: 'To be brutally honest, I didn't think I would be leaving the club this summer'
- 5 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 6 New rickshaw taxi service starts in town
- 7 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 8 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 9 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 10 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
“Coming in through what we consider to be our ‘local’ airport brings access of course to London but also a key route into Suffolk and our first class excellent offer.”
Dr Funnell added: “In the year of our campaign Exporting is Good for Suffolk it is important that senior business leaders like Andrew come and hear direct from local firms.
“Our economy is very focused on not only exporting what we have but also welcoming new business from around the world into our county. London Stansted is key to that and we look forward to continue working with the team at Stansted to ensure we have the right infrastructure our economy needs.”