Suffolk: Chamber issues Great East Swim challenge
THE winning Suffolk Chamber team from this year’s Great East Swim is encouraging other businesses to enter the 2012 race.
John Dugmore, Suffolk Chamber chief executive, said: “The Great East Swim is a great opportunity for business men and women to swap their office suits for wet suits.
“We were delighted to win the 2011 event and as we look towards Olympic year would encourage businesses across Suffolk to take the plunge, take part and come and take the chamber on.”
The chamber’s winning team consisted of brothers Alan and Richard Pledger of React Computer Partnership, their brother-in-law, Lee Matthews, from Royal Mail and Chris Marsh of insurance brokers AT&A.
Although all four had done the swim before they were delighted to win the team event.
“In 2011 it was the third time I had taken part in the event and to be part of a winning team was a great thrill.” said Chris Marsh. “The whole experience is not to be missed and especially in Olympic year it is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be involved.”
The challenge is open to swimmers of all abilities, but teams must consist of four. These can be either all male, all female or mixed teams comprising two men and two women.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 When will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk today?
- 3 Highways chiefs fear 'severe impact' of 1,375-home plans
- 4 London couple transform Suffolk home into an 'intimate' lifestyle retreat
- 5 Forbidden Suffolk: 5 more places you can’t visit in Suffolk
- 6 When will bins be emptied during the Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday weekend?
- 7 Driver being taken to hospital after car ends up on roof in field
- 8 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 9 Road closed after two-vehicle crash in Suffolk village
- 10 The night Town beat Real Madrid - and why they're still part of elite club
Although, teams can be made up of friends, family and club members, the organisers are particularly keen to encourage entries from businesses, which can use the opportunity to enhance team performance and social responsibility while at the same time encouraging a healthier lifestyle through exercise as well as raising money for charity.
The 2012 Great East Swim is on June 16, with Alton Water, near Ipswich again the venue, and is now open for entries. For details, visit www.greatswim.org/Events/British-Gas-Great-East-Swim .