Cineworld confirms May reopening plans
- Credit: Archant
Cineworld has confirmed it plans to reopen its Suffolk sites in May in line with the government's roadmap plans.
Bosses at the chain announced that it plans to reopen all 127 of its sites in the UK — including the cinemas in Ipswich, Bury St Edmunds and Haverhill.
Cineworld cinemas have been closed for the best part of a year. They were closed indefinitely in 2020 after the release of the latest James Bond film was pushed back into 2021.
The chain also revealed it will open cinemas in the US under its Regal brand from April 2, following six months of closure.
In addition, a deal has been struck with Warner Bros that gives the cinema chain, which also owns the Picturehouse franchise, exclusive rights to show films over streaming services.
You may also want to watch:
The phased reopening in the US will start with a limited number of cinemas opening for Godzilla vs. Kong on April 2, followed by screenings of Mortal Kombat from April 16.
Chief executive Mooky Greidinger said: “We have long awaited this moment when we can welcome audiences back to our Regal theatres and restore our essential role within the communities we serve.
- 1 Matt Hancock faces calls to resign after allegation of affair with aide
- 2 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Town considering move for Birmingham striker Cosgrove
- 5 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 8 Rare disease linked to cat food kills Ipswich kitten
- 9 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
- 10 Ipswich insurance broker snapped up by London firm
“With capacity restrictions expanding to 50% or more across most US states, we will be able to operate profitably in our biggest markets.
“We will also be monitoring developments closely in the UK and across Europe as we set to gradually reopen across the world in line with local government guidance.”
The boss also revealed that Cineworld has reached an agreement with Warner Bros to show the studio’s films exclusively in its cinemas 31 days prior to them being made available on premium video on demand (PVOD) platforms for streaming at home.
An extended window of 45 days for films that open to an agreed-upon box office threshold has also been reached, it added.
Cinema chains have been fearful that, with the pandemic seeing studios turn to online platforms, it could set a longer term trend on new releases going straight into homes via PVOD services.
But Mr Greidinger said: “This agreement shows the studio’s commitment to the theatrical business and we see this agreement as an important milestone in our 100-year relationship with Warner Bros.”
The boss will be hoping for a strong return to cinemas, having persuaded shareholders in Cineworld to approve plans that could see him net a £65million bonus in three years’ time if certain targets are hit.
The bonus – which is part of a pot for executives worth up to £208m – had been described as “excessive”, especially since the company put 5,000 staff in the UK on to the government’s furlough scheme.
Corporate governance experts questioned why the chief executive needs the bonus “incentive” to keep working at the business, considering his family already has a 20% stake in it.