Suffolk: Former hostage John McCarthy to speak at IoD conference
FORMER Beirut hostage John McCarthy will be among the keynote speakers at a conference being staged by the Suffolk branch of the Institute of Directors later this year.
Also lined up to speak at the event in June are Stephen Drew, senior vice-principal at Passmores Academy, who featured in the Channel 4 TV series Educating Essex, and Laura Kuenssberg, business editor at ITV News.
Mr McCarthy, who was held by terrorist kidnappers for 1,943 days before being freed in 1991, has become established as a speaker on the subjects of motivation, leadership and communication.
Mr Drew will explain his belief in the importance of recognising the potential of young people and Ms Kuenssberg will offer an insight into reporting and stories making the business headlines.
Between the three main speakers there will be two “syndicate” sessions, each involving four more presenters.
You may also want to watch:
The first, with a theme of Knowledge and Skills, will feature Simon Quantrill of Quantrills on managing use of social media, Kimberley Williams of Williams-Wroe on managing change, Robert Leggett of Ensors on tax planning and Jo McKenzie of Barker Gotelee on brand management.
The second, themed Mindset and Attitude, will feature Richard Jackson of Mancroft International on self perception, David Hall of The Ideas Centre on creativity, Stephen Unwin from ActionCoach on leadership and Jane Bowen of Tailored Training on team working.
- 1 Postman who abandoned 'undriveable' van wins unfair dismissal claim
- 2 Dozzell set for QPR, as Championship clubs show interest in Downes
- 3 Inside quirky off-grid houseboat with stunning river views - yours for £500k
- 4 Man in 20s dies after fall from pub
- 5 GP surgery in 'special measures' after patients and staff raise concerns
- 6 Woman suffers life-threatening injuries after fall from building
- 7 Covid infections mapped: 20 postcode areas report three or more cases
- 8 Busy high street taped off by police
- 9 Cyclist hurt in crash with car
- 10 If your surname is on this list you could be sitting on a fortune
The conference is being held at Woodhall Manor, Sutton, near Woodbridge, on June 20, from 9.30am to 4.30pm. Places cost �95 plus VAT for IoD members and their guests or �142.50 plus VAT for non-members. For further details or to book a place, visit www.iod.com/suffolk/events .