Suffolk: Former hostage John McCarthy to speak at IoD conference
FORMER Beirut hostage John McCarthy will be among the keynote speakers at a conference being staged by the Suffolk branch of the Institute of Directors later this year.
Also lined up to speak at the event in June are Stephen Drew, senior vice-principal at Passmores Academy, who featured in the Channel 4 TV series Educating Essex, and Laura Kuenssberg, business editor at ITV News.
Mr McCarthy, who was held by terrorist kidnappers for 1,943 days before being freed in 1991, has become established as a speaker on the subjects of motivation, leadership and communication.
Mr Drew will explain his belief in the importance of recognising the potential of young people and Ms Kuenssberg will offer an insight into reporting and stories making the business headlines.
Between the three main speakers there will be two “syndicate” sessions, each involving four more presenters.
The first, with a theme of Knowledge and Skills, will feature Simon Quantrill of Quantrills on managing use of social media, Kimberley Williams of Williams-Wroe on managing change, Robert Leggett of Ensors on tax planning and Jo McKenzie of Barker Gotelee on brand management.
The second, themed Mindset and Attitude, will feature Richard Jackson of Mancroft International on self perception, David Hall of The Ideas Centre on creativity, Stephen Unwin from ActionCoach on leadership and Jane Bowen of Tailored Training on team working.
- 1 Revealed: The most isolated villages in Suffolk
- 2 Mystery surrounds container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast
- 3 Protests against soaring fuel prices planned for Monday
- 4 Ambitious plans to regenerate 'dilapidated' part of Suffolk town revealed
- 5 Woman jailed for having sex with Ipswich schoolboy
- 6 One of north Suffolk's 'most productive' arable farms up for sale
- 7 Double-decker bus bought on eBay becomes new home for evicted Suffolk family
- 8 Ice cream kiosk at Suffolk beauty spot destroyed in arson
- 9 'I'll do whatever's in my power' - Ball makes vow to Ipswich Town fans
- 10 MP 'looking into' frustrating and disruptive A12 roadworks
The conference is being held at Woodhall Manor, Sutton, near Woodbridge, on June 20, from 9.30am to 4.30pm. Places cost �95 plus VAT for IoD members and their guests or �142.50 plus VAT for non-members. For further details or to book a place, visit www.iod.com/suffolk/events .