Suffolk: New director for Gipping Construction as chairman steps down
- Credit: Archant
Peter Blemings, chairman and co-founder of Suffolk building company Gipping Construction, has left the firm after nearly 10 years.
As a non-executive director of Gipping Construction, which is based at Baylham, near Needham Market, Mr Blemings has played a strategic and advisory role, with the day-to-day running of the company undertaken by the other founders, Christopher McEwen and Paul Orriss.
Mr Blemings will continue to run his other business, Gipping Homes, which has recently begun the refurbishment and conversion of The Bartlet, in Felixstowe, into luxury apartments.
Following his departure, Andy Laflin, formerly commercial manager at Gipping Construction, has been appointed as a director.
Mr Blemings said: “We have come a long way in Gipping Construction, from starting out in temporary cabins with no work, to a current annual turnover in the region of £10million. A strong presence in the regional market, a reputation for quality work delivered to budget, on time from a company that cares, has enabled Gipping Construction to prosper despite the challenges encountered during the recent challenging economic difficulties.
“When we started out, I indicated that I hoped to be able step aside within 10 years and we have achieved this. I now look forward to the new board and management team taking the business forward to the next level.”
Mr McEwen said: “We are sorry to see Peter leave. Without his vision, support and strategic leadership, Gipping Construction would not have succeeded. He has helped us become a financially sound, leading player in the local construction scene.
- 1 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 2 Two Suffolk beaches named among best in Britain for a winter walk
- 3 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: League One trio eye Preston defender
- 4 Town closing in on permanent deal for keeper Walton
- 5 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 6 How have Suffolk's towns changed over the last decade?
- 7 Suffolk landlord 'over the moon' to be named pub of the month
- 8 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 9 Hughes nets a hat-trick for Town Under 23s as familiar face plays for QPR
- 10 Suffolk coastline to feature on BBC Winterwatch
“We wish him well at Gipping Homes and look forward to continuing our collaborative working relationship.”
Mr McEwen added: “Andy Laflin is widely known and respected locally. He joined the company shortly after the business started, heading up and developing our commercial team.
“He has demonstrated his commitment, proved his ability and we now look forward to him contributing in a wider strategic role as the company continues to expand and diversify.
“With a strong order book, an upturn in the economy, loyal clients, and an invigorated board, we are well placed to move the business forward.”
Gipping Construction is currently on site completing projects worth between £50,000 and £2.5million for clients in the private and public sectors including Halifax School in Ipswich, Carless Refinery in Harwich and Colne Housing Association in Braintree.