Suffolk Yacht Harbour launches new workshop
- Credit: Archant
An independent marina on the River Orwell is celebrating a major expansion.
Suffolk Yacht Harbour has built a new workshop which increases its floor space from 4,800 to 7,500sq ft.
Its skilled team of shipwrights, engineers, fitters and painters can now undertake more work on wooden classics and modern power and sail boats.
Managing director Jonathan Dyke, a keen sailor, said: “Over the years, we have worked on thousands of boats. Significant refits average 20 per annum, repaints 20 per annum and teak deck replacements or refurbishments 10 per annum.
“No job is too small, and Suffolk Yacht Harbour (SYH) also works with owners assisting them on parts of their refit schedules that they do not feel comfortable doing themselves. Now SYH’s new workshop offers extra capacity and a modern centre of excellence that is unrivalled on the East Coast.”
The new building has wide and tall doors, giving easy access for craft up to 70ft in length.
It is divided into separate joinery shop, workshop and spray shops fitted with flash-proof positive pressure lights so that paint spray cannot penetrate the lighting or ignition system.
- 1 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 2 Suffolk town named one of the best places to go on holiday in the UK
- 3 Man stabbed in back and sides in Ipswich attack
- 4 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 5 Striking new seafront café opens its doors to customers after two-year wait
- 6 Ranking every League One away kit from worst to first
- 7 'It riles me to the core' - Anger as sofas dumped near Suffolk beauty spot
- 8 Striker Jackson signs new Town deal
- 9 Teenager arrested after six people injured on university campus
- 10 'The children were buzzing' - Ed Sheeran sends video to Suffolk school
Each area has dedicated heating, extraction and ventilation systems. Efficient new compressors and air tools with overhead airlines service all parts of the building.
The harbour specialises in osmosis rectification and sprayed hull finishes using West System epoxy, Awlgrip and Copper Coat and in repair, refit, restoration and joinery work.
By investing in the new building, it can now offer its services to more clients, handle bigger boats, improve turnaround times by around 30% and maintain competitive pricing, it says.
Suffolk Yacht Harbour, which is situated near Levington, has 550 berths, on-shore boat storage, travel hoists of up to 75 tonne capacity and a chandlery shop.
Its on-site marine businesses include East Anglian Sailing School, Rig Magic, OneSails, Brown and Overbury yacht surveyors, Mr Stainless , which offers stainless steel fabrications, Clarke and Carter yacht brokers, French Marine engineers and R&J Marine Electronics.