Suffolk Yacht Harbour launches new workshop
- Credit: Archant
An independent marina on the River Orwell is celebrating a major expansion.
Suffolk Yacht Harbour has built a new workshop which increases its floor space from 4,800 to 7,500sq ft.
Its skilled team of shipwrights, engineers, fitters and painters can now undertake more work on wooden classics and modern power and sail boats.
Managing director Jonathan Dyke, a keen sailor, said: “Over the years, we have worked on thousands of boats. Significant refits average 20 per annum, repaints 20 per annum and teak deck replacements or refurbishments 10 per annum.
“No job is too small, and Suffolk Yacht Harbour (SYH) also works with owners assisting them on parts of their refit schedules that they do not feel comfortable doing themselves. Now SYH’s new workshop offers extra capacity and a modern centre of excellence that is unrivalled on the East Coast.”
You may also want to watch:
The new building has wide and tall doors, giving easy access for craft up to 70ft in length.
It is divided into separate joinery shop, workshop and spray shops fitted with flash-proof positive pressure lights so that paint spray cannot penetrate the lighting or ignition system.
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 History of the Cook cull - a look back at his busy transfer windows with Chesterfield, Portsmouth and Wigan
- 3 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 4 Woman's body found in village home
- 5 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 6 A14 delays as police deal with incident near Orwell Bridge
- 7 A14 re-opens after medical emergency
- 8 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 9 Couple were found 'slumped over' on their sofa, inquest hears
- 10 How many of these 11 award-winning Suffolk food businesses do you know?
Each area has dedicated heating, extraction and ventilation systems. Efficient new compressors and air tools with overhead airlines service all parts of the building.
The harbour specialises in osmosis rectification and sprayed hull finishes using West System epoxy, Awlgrip and Copper Coat and in repair, refit, restoration and joinery work.
By investing in the new building, it can now offer its services to more clients, handle bigger boats, improve turnaround times by around 30% and maintain competitive pricing, it says.
Suffolk Yacht Harbour, which is situated near Levington, has 550 berths, on-shore boat storage, travel hoists of up to 75 tonne capacity and a chandlery shop.
Its on-site marine businesses include East Anglian Sailing School, Rig Magic, OneSails, Brown and Overbury yacht surveyors, Mr Stainless , which offers stainless steel fabrications, Clarke and Carter yacht brokers, French Marine engineers and R&J Marine Electronics.