Tendring: Thousands of homes brought up to speed
RESIDENTS and business leaders in Tendring have welcomed the announcement that thousands of homes are to benefit from superfast broadband over the coming weeks.
By the end of October BT plan to have upgraded 13 cabinets in the Manningtree exchange area which will enable faster internet speeds for over 4,000 homes and businesses. Download speeds are to increase from 17Mbps to up to 40Mbps and rise again to up to 80Mbps next year.
More upgrades will follow in the coming months and the aim is to have the Clacton, Frinton and Wivenhoe exchanges ready in time for Easter.
Manningtree resident and town councillor Lee Lay-Flurrie praised the move.
“It has to be better than it was before, particularly for businesses in the area as they really are suffering at the moment.”
You may also want to watch:
Brian Farrington from the Essex Chamber of Commerce also said the improvements were significant, though long overdue.
“It’s a good start. We support anything that’s going to bring superfast broadband to an area like Tendring as it’s been neglected for so long.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 League One side showing strong interest in Ipswich youngster Lankester
- 3 Head chef frustrated after 13 'no shows'
- 4 Man dies following stabbing in Bury St Edmunds
- 5 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 6 Woman who pocketed cash for memorial bench avoids prison
- 7 Man in 50s dies following crash on Suffolk border
- 8 When Eagles Dare documentary reveals how close Ian Holloway came to being named Ipswich Town manager
- 9 Rubbish dumped on A14 approach road
- 10 Mike Bacon: We needed an enormous brush.... And it looks like we are getting one!
“We need to see Harwich and Brightlingsea brought up to speed next and we will be pushing them to roll it out in these areas quicker.”
Essex Federation of Small Businesses Development Manager, Keith Brown, said: “Having access to high speed, reliable, affordable broadband is essential for any business in the 21st century so investment by BT in upgraded facilities is welcomed by Essex FSB.
“We wish to see high speed reliable broadband available across Essex as quickly as possible and are pleased the work in the Manningtree area is progressing so rapidly so businesses can benefit from this investment programme.”
TDC Leader Neil Stock said the Council’s efforts have paid off.
“Our Regeneration and Planning Departments have been working very closely with BT to facilitate this deployment, including pre-application meetings and we are now reaping the results of these discussions.
“Superfast broadband for more than 4,000 homes is a good start and it will only be a matter of months before others quickly follow.”
If you are not covered in the initial roll-out and want to find out more contact Michelle Gordon, TDC’s Enterprise Liaison Officer, on 01255 686376 or email email@example.com.