Who has bought this award-winning Suffolk pub?
- Credit: Archant
One of Suffolk’s most highly-regarded independent pubs has been sold.
The Crown, in Stoke-by-Nayland, was bought by The Chestnut Group earlier this week.
MORE: Will fast food drive-through replace town's recycling centre? The East Anglian hospitality firm already boasts a number of high-profile inns, pubs and restaurants across the region.
And the acquisition of The Crown looks set to strengthen the company's portfolio even more.
Philip Turner, who founded The Chestnut Group in 2012, said: "The Crown fits perfectly within our expanding collection of properties which seek to craft authentic experiences through engaging food and drink, home from home bedrooms and relaxing spaces sewn together with informal and warm service."
The 16th century 11-bedroom inn was opened in 2003 by Richard Sunderland.
Over 16 years ago it has earned a reputation as one of the county's best pubs and was recently featured in the AA's 2020 Pub Guide and has twice been named as The Good Pub Guide's Suffolk Dining Pub of the Year.
You may also want to watch:
"It has been a remarkable journey", added Mr Sunderland, "we are extremely proud of all we have achieved with The Crown.
"The decision to hand the ownership over to The Chestnut Group is a natural one, we look forward to working closely with them in the transition period to ensure the outcome for our loyal colleagues and fabulous guests."
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 Jeffers set for Ipswich Town coaching role
- 3 'The manager has to impose his will... we'll give him the resources to do that' - Detmer on Cook's transfer funds
- 4 Former judge's widow on trial for sex abuse of young boy in 1980s
- 5 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 6 'The honour of my life' - Chambers' message to Town fans after departure confirmed
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after being hit by car
- 8 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 9 Hospital waives car parking charges for 'those who need it most'
- 10 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth