UK: Dairy coalition commits to working strategy for British dairying
A Dairy Coalition set up to combat low milk prices says its members will work together to deliver on its 10 point strategy to help secure the long-term future of the British dairy industry.
Speaking today at the Livestock Event, National Farmers’ Union (NFU) dairy board chairman Mansel Raymond said the primary objective of the Dairy Coalition was to see a fair and functioning market place for the UK dairy industry.
“We formed this coalition because our dairy market simply wasn’t working,” he said. “This was made very clear when we saw devastating price cuts this the spring, and further price cuts planned for August. Market highs, when we have seen them, have not been passed down to the farm gate.
“From working together we have seen SOS Dairy engage with government, with our milks buyers, with processors and other large buyers of milk – and this work must and will continue.
“We need to ensure we deliver on our ten point plan and we have committed to working as a coalition to ensure we do just that. We will focus on three key areas including exposing bad practices, redefining and empowering the farmers’ role in the supply chain and ensuring the supply chain is transparent and fair.”
You may also want to watch:
Farmers For Action (FFA) chairman David Handley said: “The SOS Dairy campaign has seen this coalition of dairy farmers and organisations working together to demand fairer contracts and a more transparent supply chain for dairy farmers. While we are not at the end of this journey we have made great inroads, not least of which is the new voluntary code which has been announced by the NFU, NFUS and Dairy UK.
“We are committed to working as a coalition to represent the views of each organisation and to apply pressure to deliver on our ten point plan. This will help us to secure a long-term future which will benefit the whole of the British dairy industry and safeguard British dairy products for consumers.”
- 1 Man in 20s dies in collision between lorry and pedestrian on A14
- 2 Suffolk estate which featured on TV show on the market for £1.25m
- 3 Chambers and Skuse set to be headline exits on day of departures at Ipswich Town
- 4 Car on its side in middle of roundabout after crash outside Haverhill Tesco
- 5 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 6 Ipswich Town transfer rumours: Blues linked with goalkeeper and coaching move for former loanee
- 7 'Next season we'll have a right go' - Roberts on Fleetwood win and Chambers' future
- 8 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-1 win against Fleetwood
- 9 Plans for Scandinavian-inspired holiday chalets in Suffolk
- 10 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-1 victory over Fleetwood
Members of the coalition are the NFU, NFU Cymru, NFU Scotland, FFA, Tenant Farmers’ Association (TFA), Women’s Food and Farming Union (WFU) and the Royal Association of British Dairy Farmers (RABDF).