Video: Is Risbygate Street in Bury St Edmunds the most diverse shopping street in the country?
- Credit: Archant
A top shopping street in Bury St Edmunds is hoping to “go viral” with a new video celebrating its diverse range of outlets
Risbygate Street is the subject of a new video commissioned to capture its varied and vibrant retail offering, which includes an auctioneers’, a motorcycle dealership, a musical instrument shop and a big-brand value retailer.
This broad appeal has led the town’s Business Improvement District (BID) Our Bury St Edmunds to catch the street on tape and start a social media campaign daring other market towns across the country to challenge Risbygate Street’s selection.
Chief executive Mark Cordell said: “The video features all the BID member businesses on Risbygate Street, which includes everything from motorbikes at Bower’s to musical instruments at Balaam’s, plus gifts, crafts, a wine merchants, jewellers, restaurants and of course the auctioneers Lacy Scott & Knight.
“I’d be very surprised if there is another market town in Britain that can offer quite such a range on one town centre street.
“And I hope other towns or BIDs will take up our social media challenge to showcase what they have to offer.”
The three-and-a-half-minute video, directed by local filmmaker Paul Cook, has been posted on the Our Bury St Edmunds YouTube channel, and will be tweeted with the hashtag #WowWhatAStreet in a bid to encourage other towns to get involved and see if they can better Bury’s offering.
- 1 Historic former pub with permission to convert into homes set for auction
- 2 Ipswich Town installed as early League One title favourites
- 3 GALLERY: 'Stunning' turnout as Hadleigh Show returns after enforced break
- 4 5 new places to eat and drink in Woodbridge this year
- 5 Man dies after being found unresponsive in Sudbury river
- 6 Excitement builds as Suffolk Show venue wakes up
- 7 Mike Bacon: Luke Woolfenden.... going nowhere, going everywhere
- 8 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 9 'We're blown away' - Classic car show visits care home after roadworks setback
- 10 'I keep selling out' - Mum-of-two dreams of fudge shop as business thrives
Jason Mills from Hardcore Hobbies, one of the businesses involved, said: “It was a lot of fun helping to make the OurBuryStEdmunds video and I think people who watch it will be surprised at just how much there is in Risbygate Street.
“I hope it will go viral on social media sites because I personally think Risbygate Street is the best road in Bury St Edmunds – although I am probably a little bit biased.”