Work begins on Winter Wonderland ice rink in Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Colchester is preparing for a winter wonderland this year, as construction begins on the town’s first ice skating rink.
The rink is set to open on November 27 next to Colchester Castle in Castle Park, with around 70,000 visitors expected over the coming months.
Around 30 contractors will be setting up the rink over the next 18 days, which will involve 45,000 litres of water will be sprayed onto the base, and systematically frozen in layers to simulate a real ice surface.
Ben Payne of Reflective Ice Ltd, said: “Our team will start construction on site this week, staff have started their training and we hope that everyone is as excited as we are.
“We really believe that alongside the ice skating, shopping market, fairground rides and food & drink there’s something for everyone.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re looking forward to welcoming everyone from the Colchester and the wider area.”
The skating rink will be part of the Winter Wonderland set-up, which features food and drink stalls and a Germanic-style winter market with local produce.
- 1 Suffolk Instagram star spreads body positivity for 'mid-size' girls through fashion
- 2 Suffolk events going ahead this summer which you can enjoy
- 3 A140 closed this weekend to connect road to new roundabout
- 4 Former bakery goes up for sale after restaurant plans fall through
- 5 Storms uncover another large Suffolk shipwreck
- 6 Hair salon and cocktail bar opening new Suffolk site as demand 'goes bananas'
- 7 Murder probe launched after woman found dead at Ipswich flat
- 8 'I don't want to tarnish the good feelings I have with the fans' - Lambert on Celtic vacancy
- 9 Covid patient admissions drop at Ipswich and Colchester hospitals
- 10 Infection rates show slight rise in some districts
The authentic Christmas experience will see Santa dropping by to talk to excited youngsters, and live music performances from a host of choirs and music groups.
Mr Payne added: “We’ve sold over 9,000 tickets already, so we want to encourage those who are still deciding, to pre-book their tickets so they won’t be disappointed at the last minute.”
The ice rink will be open Monday-Saturday, 8am to 8pm, and Sundays 10am to 9pm, from November 27 until January 3, excluding Christmas Day.
Tickets are £11.50 for adults, £10.50 for students or pensioners, £8.50 for children aged six-16-years-old, and £4 for children aged three-to-five-years-old.
A family ticket is £32.
Parker the penguin and his friends will also be available to hire, to help younger skaters enjoy their first time on the rink for £5.
For further information and booking, visit www.colchestericerink.co.uk.